Woodford Halse, April 15th 2016
Indie studio MuHa Games is pleased to announce the release of a huge expansion for their successful strategy game, Thea: The Awakening. Return of the Giants DLC adds a new storyline, an Event Editor, localised language versions and more. The developer also shares interesting production and sales details.
The expansion is being released as a free DLC for all players who own Thea: The Awakening.
Thea: The Awakening is a dark fantasy strategic survival game steeped in Slavic myth and monstrosity after an apocalyptic force called The Darkness stroke. The game combines turn-based gameplay, with the tension and grit of a roguelike survival, captivating nonlinear story you can uncover through a series of in-game events and a unique combat based on a complex card battle game.
Return of the Giants DLC adds a new storyline to the game with new powerful creatures and ancient Giants being awakened and wreaking havoc in an already turmoiled world. Players will have to face these new challenges and to help them in their mission, MuHa adds new buildings, weapons and more to the game.
The expansion is a result of five months of game tweaking and community feedback, since many of the features were requested by the players themselves. One of them is a comprehensive Event Editor which allows players to create their own missions and storylines and adding them into the game’s procedurally generated world.
Among many other technical features there are new artworks, full English voiceover for hundreds of in-game events and four localised versions. The game is now playable in German, French, Polish and Russian. Each translation consists of as many as 250 000 words which equals 2200 pages of text!
Key features of the Return of the Giants DLC:
● 70 new in-game events, including the Return of the Giants storyline.
● Event Editor allowing players to create their own events!
● New creatures and plenty of Giants!
● New building types.
● Additional card artworks and event art.
● Full, English voiceover for all events.
● Game localisation to four languages (DE, FR, PL, RU).
● New music tracks.
● Many community requested features.
MuHa is also happy to share some development details and sales data from Early Access and the full game released on Steam back in November 2015.
With 50 000 copies sold up to date, Thea managed to return its costs and allowed this small studio of four to expand the game and evolve. This sales figures exceeds the initial goal five times and for a very hardcore and niche debut 4X title seems like a considerable success.
Development and sales in details:
● The game has been sold to 50 000 players with twice as many still having it on their wishlist.
● Initial costs of the development returned one day after the game was officially released on Steam. Additional income was invested in updates and Giants DLC.
● Development of the basic version of the game took 19 months with a core team of four people. Giants DLC was created in 5 months.
● Game budget, including the Unity engine, all assets and outsourcing of art and music for basic version of the game and Giants DLC totaled at about £15 000.
● Revenue from selling the Honey Hex Framework on Unity Asset Store covered over half of the development costs.
● Top 5 countries by sales and number of players are: United States (34.4%), Germany (9.3%), Russia (7.5%), United Kingdom (7.5%) and France (6%).
● Support for the game continues with over 110 updates released only during 2 months of the Early Access stage and now with a huge free story and game feature expansion.
● The game holds very good 89% of positive reviews on Steam and, good Metacritic score of 73/100 and 8.7 user score.
Together with Return of the Giants DLC release, DRM-free boxed edition of the game called Thea: The Awakening Gold Edition is being released by IMGN.PRO in the UK, Germany, France and Poland with more countries coming soon.
Thea: The Awakening and its free Return of the Giants DLC are now available on Steam and all major digital game distribution networks listed on the developer’s website http://thea.muhagames.com.
Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/378720
Title: Thea: The Awakening
Genre: Strategy / RPG / Survival
Platforms: PC (now available), Xbox One (coming soon)
Developer: MuHa Games
Price: $19.99 / €19,99 / £14.99
About MuHa Games
Based in the UK, MuHa Games is an independent team of four experienced Polish game developers who have worked on titles like Operation Flashpoint: Red River, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Thea: The Awakening is their first self-published indie game.
Founded 6 years ago, IMGN.PRO is an indie game developer and publishing company located in southern Poland. Their team consists of professionals which has more than 7 years of experience in the field of business consulting, licensing, distribution and software development.
Jonas “O.J” Ek
The Gaming Ground
More by Jonas Ek:
Save 3$ with our Play-Asia coupon code "thegg"