Driftland: The Magic Revival is out! After 1,5 years in Early Access, the game awaited by many fans of strategy genre is finally released. It already drew some attention, winning Best PC Game at Barcelona Games World, Best Indie Game at Poznan Game Arena, and official selection at events such as GDC 2019 (European Game Showcase), Quo Vadis 2018, PAX West 2018 and Nordic Game.
“We would like to thank our enormous community for their comments and suggestions”, said Michał Sokolski, the creator of the game.
“If it wasn’t for them, Driftland would have been a completely different game. We create games for players, so the fact that they could decide which way to go in such a wide range of possibilities was crucial for us”.
The full version of the game allows you to play the role of a powerful mage in new modes – multiplayer and two brand new campaigns. The fourth campaign will become available to all game owners shortly after its release.
“We wanted all strategy games fans to find in Driftland something interesting for each and one of them. So there are intertwined feature campaigns or there is a single game mode in which you can define its gameplay conditions. There is also a multiplayer mode in which you can compete with others” says Michał Sokolski.
Driftland: The Magic Revival is produced by Star Drifters, a studio founded by Michał Sokolski and Krzysztof Jakubowski. Earlier, they both had a big share in the success of Sniper: Ghost Warrior from City Interactive (CI Games), but they originally come from the independent games market, where they developed games under the label of Tatanka studio.
‘The industry has changed a lot, but it’s great to be indie again”, laughs Krzysztof Jakubowski.
“We hope that Driftland will add its contribution to the revival of real time strategy games. A colourful and very original contribution.”
More about Driftland: The Magic Revival:
Driftland is a unique fusion of RTS, 4X strategy and god sim genres in a fantasy world made of a scattered world.
Player takes on the role of a powerful mage-ruler capable of moving and reshaping parts of the planet. Both game mechanics and history are based on an innovative concept of dynamic topography and issuing orders to individuals with free will.
A long war between the mightiest of ancient mages led to a gigantic cataclysm, shattering the entire planet into scattered pieces. Facing the destruction of their entire civilizations, warring parties decided to call a truce and tried to repair the damage caused.
It was, however, already too late. Using all the remaining magic resources they had, mages cast a powerful spell and managed to keep their world, Driftland, in a relative balance.
Many dark ages have passed, but when all seemed lost, a light of hope sparked once again: new sources of magic appeared and the whole planet began to give birth to new spellcasters.
You become the most powerful among them – Mage Overlord with great power and great purpose. What fate will you bring to the planet – new devastating conflict or revival?
Subjects with free will, tamable wild creatures (or Dwarven aerial machines) and rich lore (with four new languages created for the project) are only the tip of the iceberg – the game allows you to move floating islands created by the cataclysm, terraform, create or destroy them. You can reshape the world around you, gaining a strategic advantage over enemies and securing your inevitable victory!
– Build a kingdom you want to rule – city building and upgrades of buildings, expanding their capabilities – economic, military or magical power
– Dynamic topography – Move and terraform floating islands of the shattered planet
– Get to know the rich lore – 4 different races with unique skills, each one speaking their own language. 4 points of view on the Driftland’s story. One player to bring them all and in the darkness bind… oh, you know the drill.
– Many paths of progress – Economy, Warfare, and Magic upgrades purchased for progress points
– Economy is the key – Resources, population, and magic-based economy
– Don’t forget about the diplomacy – Reputation system, alliances, wars and everything in between
– Face various victory conditions – Extermination, Domination, Expansion
– Give your citizens the orders – Setting goals instead of micro-managing of the units
– Development of units – Units have names, gain EXP, level up, and unique skills
– Flying units – Enhancing units by taming and bonding them with flying beasts incl. dragons or build Dwarven aerial machines
– Game Modes – Skirmish, 4 intertwining Campaigns, and Multiplayer
About Star Drifters:
Star Drifters is an independent game development studio based in Warsaw, Poland. The company was founded in 2014 by two industry veterans: Michal Sokolski and Krzysztof Jakubowski.
During their careers that span nearly two decades, they’ve worked on numerous titles for all major gaming platforms and gained extensive direct experience in game development and management. Prior to Star Drifters, in 2000 they founded an indie game studio called Tatanka. Two years later, they started (as co-founders) CI Games, the company behind such games as Lords of the Fallen and Sniper Ghost Warrior.
Star Drifters’ mission is to create engaging, challenging, and highly replayable games, that will remain in players’ memory for a long time.
Jonas “O.J” Ek
The Gaming Ground
More by Jonas Ek: