26 FEBRUARY 2020 – Tommy Visic, creator of the hugely popular 2004 platformer “Glace” today announced its reinvention, “Spirit of Glace“, with a debut trailer.
Spirit of Glace is not a sequel, but a complete reboot and expansion of the original adventure, refreshed with community feedback, gorgeous pixel art, an open world, and fast-paced, reinvented platforming gameplay.
Previously reviewed as “one of the greatest freeware game[s] of all time.” “a platformer that harks back to the golden days of Super Nintendo.” and even described by Coin Arcade as their “favourite indie games of all-time.”
– Visic’s 2004 title Glace was played by millions, and Spirit of Glace looks to embrace that nostalgia, and use it in making a successor that draws on classic 80’s gaming for a contemporary audience.
Creator and lead developer Tommy Visic said “It’s been so much fun hearing from fans of the game over the years, and I always wanted to go back and revisit the world of Glace.
I can’t express how honored I am to learn there’s still a community of players who love Glace and want to rally behind the new project. I draw so much inspiration from them.”
Glace fans can join the Spirit of Glace Discord server for news and to help shape the new game as it’s under an open development model.
The community is also working together to update the original 2004 game with bug fixes and improvements.
About Spirit of Glace
Help tell the story of Glace, a small creature who suddenly blinks into existence and must find purpose in a world torn apart by a mysterious force. Based on the original 2004 classic played by millions, Spirit of Glace is an open world adventure platformer with a story you won’t forget.
– An open world to explore at your own pace. Discover landmarks and revisit locations by roaming about on an overworld map (similar to Zelda 2). You’ll navigate grassy meadows, murky swamps, snowy mountains, moonscapes and much more.
– A strong emphasis on story, quality lore, and attention to detail. Discover a world full of life, legend, and history.
– Some fresh purple platforming action. Glace might be shy but he’s got moves. Falling off a ledge is just an opportunity to bounce off the floor and rocket back up with finesse.
– Dash mid-air, fling from ledges, ricochet off walls, and reach pretty much any place you can see (or not see).
– Attack your foes with weapons that are just plain fun to use, like talking magical beads that shoot out, bounce around, and zip back to you.
– Rebuild the world and unlock powers by doing so. Tend to a secret garden, help rebuild a village in the swamp, organize a penguin rebellion against the foe.
– Experience an enchanting soundtrack carefully crafted by the composer of the original 2004 game.
– Dozens of passive ability-enhancing relics to collect and upgrade.
– Built for replaying. A rewind mechanic encourages you to take earned powers and game state to the next playthrough where you’ll experience new story elements and higher levels of challenge. Keep your relics, abilities, improved locations, etc.
– Dynamic encounters within stages and dungeons that reorganize themselves after every playthrough.
About Tommy Visic
As a bored kid growing up in Arizona, Tommy built sketchy obstacle courses and then convinced his friends to run through them. He feels like making video games is safer, so he’s going to do that now.
Jonas “O.J” Ek
The Gaming Ground
More by Jonas Ek:
Save 3$ with our Play-Asia coupon code "thegg"