It’s been a very long time since I got excited over a horror game, because most horror games of today have left me somewhat disappointed (with a few reelections). Why? Well, for most part, nowadays there is way too much focus on action instead of actual horror (this is why I still prefer to play old-school horror games). However, just now I found out about Acid Wizard Studio’s 2D survival horror game “Darkwood” (thanks Bill Kara!). Good thing that, because the game looks freaking awesome! And funny enough, shortly after that I heard about “Darkwood”. I soon realized that the game is actually now available on Steam. You see, Acid Wizard dropped the news on Twitter two days ago:
Sure, I don’t know about you, but when I watched the launch trailer for “Darkwood” I couldn’t help to think about games such as “Silent Hill“, “2Dark”, “Alone in the dark” and “Nocturne“. I’m all cool with that though, because I love those games. That’s also why I hope to get a chance to play “Darkwood” as soon as possible =) And for those who have no idea what “Darkwood” is all about, here’s Acid Wizard Studio’s description of their game:
“Darkwood – a new perspective on survival horror. Scavenge and explore a rich, ever-changing free-roam world by day, then hunker down in your hideout and pray for the morning light.”
So, what about game features then? Well, here are the said launch features for “Darkwood”:
– Experience the only top-down survival horror game that will make you scream out in terror.
– Enjoy an engaging blend of RPG, roguelike and adventure elements crafted by hardcore gamers.
– Step into a world where the cycle of night and day truly impacts your (already faint) chances of survival.
– By day explore the randomly generated, ever-sinister woods, scavenge for materials, craft weapons and discover new secrets.
– By night find shelter, barricade, set up traps and hide or defend yourself from the horrors that lurk in the dark.
– Gain skills and perks by extracting a strange essence from mutated fauna and flora and injecting it into your bloodstream. Watch out for unexpected consequences…
– Make decisions that impact the world of Darkwood, its inhabitants and the story you experience.
– Meet eerie characters, learn their stories and decide their fate. And remember – don’t trust anyone.
– Laugh maniacally as madness consumes your mind.
Nice features indeed =) And before I wrap this post up, I just want to point out that there is a fan art contest for “Darkwood” (Acid Wizard launched that contest yesterday). So if you’re gifted at drawing awesome art pieces, then you might want to join this contest 😉
And with that said, what do you guys and girls think about “Darkwood”? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section down below!
Robin “V-Act” Ek
Editor in chief
The Gaming Ground
More by Robin Ek:
Save 3$ with our Play-Asia coupon code "thegg"