I think it’s safe to say that there are very few new WWII games on the market that lets you play as the Germans (yes, I’m aware of the “Close Combat” and “Civilization” series). That’s also why I got rather excited when Daniel Rikson informed us about his involvement in the upcoming WWII FPS game “Project 1942” (the game is being made exclusively for the PC):
“Greetings TGG, I’ve enjoyed being a long time reader of thegg.net. And now I’m a part of an interesting game project, one which I believe in. It would be a privilege and honor to my team and I, for TGG to feature our project to help newcomers discover our game, and be a part of its development” – Daniel Rikson, one of the devs behind Project 1942
So what exactly is “Project 1942” all about then? Well, here’s what’s currently known about the game:
“In defending Austria, a great shame was brought onto Germany and her people, and her nation unrightfully given over to her oppressors. But that will not go unavenged. Enter an alternate timeline where the might of the British Commonwealth cannot be denied. The America, wary of entangling herself within the affairs of her former adversary, is also weathering a conflict between two feuding factions… and neutral, Imperial Russia has started to enter a time of enlightenment.”
As for features, these are the said launch features for now:
– Immersive, atmospheric, World War II, singleplayer first-person tactical adventure from the perspectives of German forces.
– Exploration, and engaging gameplay across 10+ levels; not a typical AAA linear shooter.
– More than 12 hours of game length.
– Battle through the European theater, and beyond
– Discover multiple routes & methods to reach and complete each objective, in detailed yet expansive maps
– Full mission customization with combat support, weapon load outs, and much more!
– Challenging gameplay with brutal realism
– Advanced tactical AIs utilizing realistic combat strategies and behavior
– A full arsenal of 40+ weapons, including a variety of mounted and heavy weapons
– Over 30 authentic vehicles from the battlefield
– Full support for mod content created by our community
Other than that, I was given the following information as well:
The project is currently in the pre-alpha phase, under the working name: “project 1942”. A title designed exclusively for the PC, it will be available through Steam and other digital distribution platforms upon release. And with your help, this one-of-a-kind game can become a reality. Contributions will fund not only the development of this game, but will allow for expansion packs and future projects.
Be a part of history.
Support the development of this unique project.
We’re a small team. Working on this project in our spare time, and with an effectively non-existent budget, together we strive for the goal of making a game…that we would be proud of…that our player demographic has long wanted. In an industry saturated with pretentious hipster games and unmemorable bland AAAs.
I also just found out that One Angry Gamer did an AMA with the devs behind “Project 1942”. So you might want to check that one out =)
And with that said, what’s your take on “Project 1942” so far? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section down below!
Robin “V-Act” Ek
Editor in chief
The Gaming Ground
More by Robin Ek:
Save 3$ with our Play-Asia coupon code "thegg"